Understanding each client’s situation and goals is the foundation for the services we provide. The personal information you give us helps us to meet your financial needs. We are committed to maintaining your financial information’s confidentiality, integrity, and security. We understand your desire for discretion in handling your financial matters, and we appreciate the trust you have placed in us to keep your information confidential.
These Privacy Principles explain what personal information we collect, why we collect it, how we protect it, and in what circumstances we may share it.
Hilliard Lyons’ Privacy Principles apply to client information collected or used when our companies offer you financial services. This disclosure is made on behalf of J.J.B. Hilliard, W.L. Lyons, LLC, and Hilliard Lyons Trust Company, LLC – below, “we,” “us,” or “our.”
How and why we collect personal information
We collect and maintain information about clients so we can evaluate their financial needs and provide financial services to meet those needs. Most of the information we collect about you comes directly from you – from applications, agreements, or forms that you complete to receive our services. You may also provide us information when communicating with us in writing, electronically, or by phone. We collect information from and about you to:
- identify you as our client;
- establish and manage your accounts;
- complete your transactions;
- understand your needs through market research;
- inform you of products and services that may meet your needs; and
- comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
Fighting terrorism funding and money laundering
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money-laundering activities, federal law requires financial institutions like us to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each client who opens an account. For instance, we may collect:
- information such as your name, address, e-mail address, phone numbers, Social Security number, tax identification number, assets, income, occupation, and birth date; and
- information about your transactions and holdings with us, our affiliates, or others, such as account balances, positions, and history.
As an added safeguard, Hilliard Lyons uses an email encryption service when communicating sensitive information electronically. Although the service requires you to establish an encryption account with our service partner, this one-time task is relatively minor in relation to the security gained.
Protecting your privacy
We respect the premium you place on keeping your finances private, and we consider protecting your personal information essential to building client trust and maintaining sound business practices. That is why we do not sell information about current or former clients to anyone. We also do not disclose any nonpublic information about current or former clients, except:
- as requested or authorized by our clients;
- as necessary to process a transaction or service an account;
- as requested by securities or other regulatory authorities;
- pursuant to subpoena; or
- as otherwise required by law.
We may disclose information about you or your account to:
- affiliates and nonaffiliated companies that perform administrative or marketing services on our behalf to help us service your account(s), such as printing and mailing companies, and
- investment advisors or other financial institutions with whom we are developing or offering investment products or services.
Our contracts with third parties restrict their use of client information and require them to implement safeguards to maintain its confidentiality.
We restrict access to your personal information to those employees who need to know that information to provide investment products or services to you. Employees with access to your personal information must maintain and protect its confidentiality and follow established safeguarding procedures.
We also maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect non‑public client information. You can get details about our general account safety features, including information security, by clicking here
We strive to maintain the highest standards of confidentiality and to always respect clients’ privacy. We disclose our Privacy Principles annually to comply with Title V of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and related regulations. We also comply with state privacy laws.
We are committed to protecting your information on our website with the same care we use for all our transactions.