The Importance of Exit Planning
Transitioning a business to the next generation or to new ownership is a reality that affects all business owners. Ideally, business owners should begin developing a succession plan years before exiting the business. Many, however, aren't thinking about it at all.
In a recent Harris/Decima survey, 46% of business owners are thinking about a succession plan, and the vast majority (80%) has yet to identify a successor.
Hilliard Lyons Investment Banking can assist you in developing a comprehensive Exit Plan. Having a detailed Exit Plan can put your mind at ease and give you greater clarity over your path towards financial success.
Primary Issues Addressed by Exit Planning
Exiting the business WHEN you want:
- How much longer do you want to be involved in the business?
- What happens in the event of unplanned illness or health concern?
Creating financial security for yourself and your family:
- Do you know what your business is worth?
- How significant of an asset is the business relative to your net worth?
- How much money is needed to support your lifestyle?
- Do you want cash at closing or paid out over time?
The ongoing legacy of your business:
- Have you identified a successor?
- Who is the ideal owner of the business – a family member, key employee, or partner?
- Is getting top dollar for the business more important than the business’s legacy?
The Hilliard Lyons Advantage
Hilliard Lyons Investment Banking can assist you by coordinating a plan with your existing legal, financial and estate planning advisors. We can also assist you with your estate planning, wealth management and trust needs.
When you decide that the time is right to sell your company, we can assist you by running a “Wall Street”-style process and negotiate a transaction that is satisfactory to your terms. For more information, please visit the Merger & Acquisition Advisory section of this site.
For more information on Exit Planning, please contact John Mascarich, Senior Investment Banker; (502) 588-8409 (direct) or JMascarich@Hilliard.com.